‘The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span,
the hours spent in fishing’
Temple Sowerby House is the perfect place to stay whilst enjoying some of the best fishing waters in Cumbria.
The county can offer more fishing waters than any other county in England and the River Eden and its tributaries are the jewels in its crown.
The famous River Eden flows close to the hotel itself and many more fishing waters are just a short drive away.
From its source in Mallerstang, the Eden flows through dramatically changing landscapes of high fells, gorges, fertile pastures and meadows before entering the Solway Firth at picturesque Rockcliffe.
The Eden is a semi-spate river whose Brown Trout strain has been mainly untouched, and the fighting ability of its fish has to be experienced to be believed!
Fishing for Brown Trout is available on an exclusive 5 mile stretch of the Eden, most of it double bank fishing. This is a beautiful and quiet section of the river and is a demanding but exciting challenge for the river angler. Only four rods are permitted on this private beat.
Access to the Eden locally is good and wading safe in most parts of the river.
Here are a few ideas for you….
All locations are within easy reach of Temple Sowerby House and we will be happy to make the arrangements on your behalf.
• 3-day fishing courses with full tuition
• Salmon fishing can be arranged and is available on a daily basis during the season
• At the foot of Howgills and Shap Fell, Pinfold is a very good 4-acre lake with bank fishing for rainbow trout
• Wild Brown Trout fishing (with fly only) is available on the River Eden. The quality of the fishing is without doubt, internationally renowned, and many visitors come from all over the world to enjoy it's unique Brownies
• Tuition and guided fishing on private beats on the Eden
• Blencarn, a peaceful 15-acre lake with a splendid panorama of the Pennines dominated by Cross Fell
• Both Game and Coarse fishing are available and day tickets range from £3 to £17 per person. Exclusive fishing can be arranged on certain lakes for up to 8 guests
Come and stay in the Spring and enjoy the Fishing Week organised by John Norris of Penrith.
Contact us for dates
Fishing in Cumbria, the Lake District Local Information